Buying or Selling a Business in Virginia
As a business owner, succession and exit strategies have probably crossed your mind once before. However, it’s difficult to determine when is the best time to sell my business, especially with so many personal ties and emotions intertwined. After all, your business encompasses all of your hard work and effort over the years, and now, its sale will sustain your lifestyle during retirement. Because of this, finding the best time to sell your business is absolutely crucial.
The best time to sell a business is when:
- The business has bounced back from COVID and is growing once again
- The new owner can see a path for future growth and/or greater profitability
- You are ready to move on to the next phase of your life
As a business owner, you will know if you fall into #1. At Brentwood Growth, our Virginia business brokers and consultants can help you discover potential buyers that fit into #2. Only you, the business owner, know the answer to #3.
Timing is everything — for you, the market, and the buyers. Some of the questions our Virginia business brokers can help you answer are:
- What is my business worth?
- How do I calculate the value of my business?
- How do I find potential buyers for my business?
- Who is my ideal buyer, a what will they expect from me post-sale?
- How disruptive would a sale process be to the company and what if my competitors or employees found out?
- Is this the right time or should I wait to sell my business?
- If I wait a few years to sell my business, what should I focus on to better prepare for sale and increase the value to sell my business in the meantime?
Whether you are ready to sell a business now or in 2-5 years, Brentwood Growth can help you discover, weigh, and consider your options. We understand the significance of this decision. Even if the timing is not now to sell my business we can help you identify areas you need to focus on in the next several years to maximize the value of a sale.
We have a process that begins with completing a complimentary valuation. This allows:
- Our Virginia business brokers to give our opinion on the value range and understand your value expectation for the business
- Together we can think through which group of buyers make the most sense to market the business to, whether it be a strategic, owner/operator, or financial buyer.
- Both of us (yourself and our Virginia business brokers) to worth together to see if we are a potential fit
No more confusion and late nights researching information — your time is better spent elsewhere. At Brentwood Growth, our acquisitions services provide you with all of the information you need to successfully list and sell your business the right way: The way YOU want.