Deciding the best time to sell your business is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make throughout your lifetime. Unfortunately, as a business owner, it is hard to determine the best time to sell your business and know its current market positioning. This is where Business Consultant Maryland — Brentwood Growth can help.
Upon your consultation, our Maryland business consultants will ask you to consider the following:
- What is the current value of my business? Will its value increase if I wait to sell my business?
- If I wait to sell my business, what do I need to focus on to increase its value and place it in the best position possible for sale?
Those that want to sell now, those that want to sell in the next 2-5 years (sell soon), owners that want to sell in 5 years + (sell one day). Each have different questions and concerns but each need information to make a decision.
At Business Consultant Maryland – Brentwood Growth, we often see business owners considering selling their business fall into one of the three following categories:
- Maryland business owners selling a business now
- Maryland business owners who would like to sell their business in 2-5 years
- Business owners in Maryland preparing to sell their business in 5+ years
In order to make an informed decision, Business Consultant Maryland – Brentwood Growth suggests receiving an initial business valuation as a first step. Our Maryland business brokers and consultants provide our prospective clients with free business valuations with no commitment required — we simply see this as an investment in our relationship.
A business valuation will reveal whether or not now is the best time to sell your business or if you should wait a few years to better position your company for sale. In some cases, you may think now is the best time to sell, but a business valuation may reveal otherwise.
When working with Business Consultant Maryland – Brentwood Growth, our Maryland business brokers can help you determine what you need to focus on to better position your company for sale. While you may be eager to sell your business now in the near future, waiting 2-5 years may result in a much higher payout.
Business Valuation Strategies
Here is a brief list of several items we might suggest you set strategies around, based on the Brentwood Growth value enhancement:
- Higher net margins – get net margins with “owner add-backs” over 20%
- Strong revenue growth post COVID – get 2021 revenue back to 2019+ levels and 20%+ going forward
- Client Diversification – good client roster with not one client 20%+ of sales
- Reoccurring revenue – have as much as possible contractual, stable and predictable revenue
- Clean balance sheet – strong working capital position with little debt
- Management team depth – business not solely dependent on you, have a bench
Contact our Maryland Business Consultants and Business Brokers for a Free Consultation and Business Valuation
At Business Consultant Maryland – Brentwood Growth, our Maryland business consultants will provide you with a free business valuation and help you decide the best route to take. If you decide that now is the best time to sell your business, our Maryland business brokers will manage your company’s listing and the due diligence process. We can also help you increase the value of your business over the next several years. You will be able to decide your preferred timeline once the business valuation is given. As mentioned, we do not charge for the initial business valuation or consultation.
If you would like to learn more about how Business Consultant Maryland – Brentwood Growth can assist, please give our Maryland business brokers a call at 908-377-7807 or use our online contact form.